Sunday, October 4, 2009

Iron Fist in a Green Velvet Glove


Well - I picked up 'Green Lightening' (named by my 9-year-old) from the transmission shop on Friday (3 days ago)

All (and I do mean all) is forgiven.  What a great ride.

Turns out I have the Borg-Warner type 65 gearbox, instead of the more common type 35 - which is a good thing.


She just wooshes along, emitting a fairly throaty V8 growl from its twin pipes.  Noticed a slightly disturbing lack of response from the brakes when I started out today - but only once - I'll check the level shortly.  Also had to top up the power steering by a small amount (the manual says to check it every 1,000 miles anyway).

Second gear is a real stormer, good for at least 70 mph (112kph) which dispatches hills, slower cars and pretty much anything with disdain and aplomb.  I love it.

Now I have to work out the heating (possibly stuck in the on position) and the aircon (which at least needs regassing) and I will have a very usable car.  I had forgotten how little room there is for passenger's legs in the back, especially when the driver is a well-proportioned 6'4".

Can't be many 4-door 2-seater grand tourers can there?  Only the Brits eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment